三井記念美術館

美術館概要

コレクション

展覧会情報開催中の展覧会次回の展覧会展覧会のスケジュール過去の展覧会一覧

教育普及

刊行書籍

イベント情報土曜講座ワークショップ・鑑賞会

館内のご案内フロアマップミュージアムショップミュージアムカフェ

ご利用案内開館時間・入館料・休館日アクセスマップ

Mitsui Memorial Museum

Current exhibition

This special exhibition is being held to offer prayers for the recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake, in honor of the completion of the major Heisei-era restoration of the National Treasure designated Hondō of Zuigan-ji in Matsushima, and in commemoration of the 450th birth anniversary of Date Masamune. We hope that this exhibition will broaden visitors’ understanding of the history and culture of Zuigan-ji and the Sendai clan, which symbolized the co-existence of the Momoyama forces near Kyoto and the so-called Michinoku district of Tohoku provinces centered on Sendai.

Zuigan-ji is located in Matsushima, renowned for its pine-studded islands and considered one of Japan’s three major natural beauty sites, along with Itsukushima and Amanohashidate. The temple has a 1,200-year history as one of the spiritual and cultural pillars of the Michinoku region. It was founded in the Heian period by Jikaku Daishi Ennin as a Tendai sect temple named Enpuku-ji. In the Kamakura period it became a Rinzai sect temple also named Enpuku-ji but with a different character used for “en.” The Rinzai temple welcomed Rankei Dōryū (Daikaku Zenji, 1213-1278, founder of Kamakura’s Kenchō-ji), as its second-generation head priest, and the temple greatly developed as the focal point of the Rinzai Kenchō-ji sect in the Tohoku region. The temple’s fortunes declined at the end of the Muromachi period, but Date Masamune, first daimyō of the Sendai clan, revived it during the Keichō era. At that time the temple was renamed Zuigan-ji, the name it still bears today.

Zuigan-ji is home to numerous temple treasures, from the National Treasure-designated Hondō (main hall) and Kuri (kitchen), to the architectural decorative sculpture on those structures, as well as 150 wall and panel paintings designated as Important Cultural Properties. This exhibition presents some of these wall and panel paintings, transom sculptures, umpan (flat) gongs, a seated sculpture of Date Masamune (dedicated 1652, Keian 5), and many other superb works. Of particular note is the first display outside of the temple grounds of the Five Great Myōō sculptures, dated to the early Heian period and designated Important Cultural Properties.

The Sendai City Museum is cooperating with this exhibition by sending a variety of important artworks and historical materials related to Date Masamune and his circle, such as the Important Cultural Property designated-Five-piece Cuirass Armor and Black Wool Jinbaori (surcoat) with Red Mountains Motif worn by Date Masamune, letters, waka (poetry) scrolls, folding screens and lacquer furnishings. These various items will shed light on the cultural side of Date Masamune, the Warring States military general of the Tohoku region who was nicknamed Dokuganryū, or the one-eyed dragon, for wearing an eye patch over one damaged eye.

Zuigan-ji was built during Date Masamune’s period to pray for the peace and security of the nation and its people. The exhibition will also convey how Zuigan-ji is overcoming the unprecedented peril of the Great East Japan Earthquake as it continues its prayers for the nation.

Floor plan

■Hours: 10am to 5pm, entrance until 4:30pm

■Holidays: Mondays(except 9/19, 10/10), 9/20, 10/11
(If Monday is a national holiday, the museum will be open on Monday)
museum guide

■Address: Mitsui Main Building, 7th Floor, Nihonbashi Muromachi 2-1-1, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0022

■For inquiries: 03-5777-8600 (Japanese only)

■Transportation:
Tokyo Metro Subway Ginza Line: Exit A7, 1 min walk from Mitsukoshimae Station
Tokyo Metro Subway Hanzomon Line: Exit A7, 3 min walk from Mitsukoshimae Station
Tokyo Metro Subway Ginza-Tozai Lines: 4 min walk from Nihombashi station,Exit B9
Toei Subway Asakusa Line: 6 min walk from Nihombashi station,Exit B9
JR Tokyo Station: 7 min walk from Nihonbashiguchi exit
JR Kanda Station: 6 min walk
JR Sobu Line Rapid Service: 4 min walk from Shin-nihombashi Station
Metro Link Nihonbashi (Free bus service): Mitsui Memorial Museum bus stop

Access

ticket※Bring this coupon and you will get 100yen discount.(1 coupon per person)


Mitsui Memorial Museum

イメージ画像

The Mitsui Memorial Museum opened in October 2005 in Nihonbashi, a site closely related to the Mitsui Group. The collections from the Mitsui Bunko Museum in Nakano ward, with many treasures of Japanese and Asian art, will move to the new museum. Members of the Mitsui families have assembled the art works in the collection over the past three centuries and their preservation as a collection make these art works a preeminent element of Japanese cultural heritage.

The Mitsui Memorial Museum is located in the Mitsui Main Building. This important western-style structure created in the early Showa era has been designated an Important Cultural Property by the Japanese government. The entrance to the new museum is located in the neighboring super skyscraper the Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower Atrium.

The exhibition galleries will include a detailed reconstruction of the interior of the Joan tea ceremony room, a National Treasure tea ceremony room long related to the Mitsui family. Display of the "beauty of functionality" in the selection of tea ceremony utensils will be contrasted with the display of Japanese and Asian art works in a western architectural setting. These galleries will allow visitors to rediscover the "beauty of form." Viewers will be encouraged to explore the true meaning of art and culture.

image

image

Copyright © 2005-2010 Mitsui Memorial Museum All Rights Reserved.